Seen on Screen provides a roundup of the current sports programming landscape as networks deal with the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. In this week’s edition, major networks like NBC Sports, Fox Sports, and ESPN are combating the silence of no live sports with previously-released, taped, or archival content. Many networks have also continued producing live studio content – often with on-air talent located remotely.
NBC Sports will present live coverage of the 2020 NHL Draft Lottery tonight at 8 p.m. ET on NBCSN, hosted by Kathryn Tappen. Immediately following the 30-minute program, a special half-hour edition of NHL Live will be presented at 8:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN with reactions to the Draft Lottery as well as a preview of the NHL’s latest Return to Play plans. The show will be hosted by Liam McHugh alongside analysts Keith Jones and Patrick Sharp.
The Draft Lottery will feature interviews with NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, the consensus top prospect Alexis Lafreniere, and the general manager of the organization that wins the Draft Lottery.
Programming will also stream on NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app…
…HBO Sports, NFL Films and the two Los Angeles-based NFL franchises are teaming up for an unprecedented and unfiltered all-access look at what it takes to make it in the National Football League when Hard Knocks: Los Angeles kicks off its five-episode season this summer. The 15th edition of the 18-time Sports Emmy-winning series debuts on Tuesday, August 11 from 10 to 11 p.m. ET, with other hour-long episodes of the first sports-based reality series debuting subsequent Tuesdays at the same time, culminating in the Sept. 8 season finale.
Hard Knocks will have encore plays Wednesday nights and will be available to stream on HBO via HBO Max and partners’ platforms.
In an unprecedented programming move, the 2020 edition of the venerable series will spotlight both Los Angeles NFL teams: The Los Angeles Chargers of the AFC West and the Los Angeles Rams of the NFC West. The two franchises are set to share the spectacular new 70,000-seat SoFi stadium that is nearing completion in Inglewood, California.
Dedicated NFL Films production crews will be in both southern California training camps, shooting more than 2,300 hours of footage over the course of the series, offering an inside look at the daily rigors of an NFL training camp. With access to players’ and coaches’ meeting rooms, training rooms, living quarters and practice fields, Hard Knocks will document hours of conditioning practices and meetings, chronicling players as they compete for a roster spot and bond off the field…
…Fox Sports kicks off its MLS is Back Tournament slate on Friday, July 11 at 8:00 PM ET with Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls on Fox and FC Cincinnati vs. Columbus Crew SC at 10:30 PM ET on FS1. Among the nine group stage matchups are past MLS Cup champions, historic rivalries, and recent additions to the league. The lineup features two appearances each by Columbus Crew SC, Houston Dynamo, New York Red Bulls, and LA Galaxy along with matches featuring Atlanta United, Chicago Fire FC, D.C. United, FC Cincinnati, Inter Miami CF, LAFC, New England Revolution, New York City FC, Philadelphia Union, and Portland Timbers.
Fox Sports’ coverage of the all-new tournament includes nine group stage matchups, four knockout stage matches, two quarterfinals, and a semifinal…
…NBC Sports has announced its telecast schedule for the 2020 NTT INDYCAR Series through July 18, highlighted by the second race of the REV Group Grand Prix at Road America on Sunday, July 12 at 12:30 p.m. ET on NBC. Pre-race coverage will begin at noon ET on NBC.
Three of the first four races of the 2020 NTT INDYCAR Series will be showcased live on NBC. The season began live in primetime on Saturday, June 6, on NBC with the Genesys 300 at Texas Motor Speedway, which delivered the most-watched INDYCAR race since 2016, excluding Indy 500s.
The first race of the REV Group Grand Prix at Road America on Saturday, July 11, will air live on NBCSN at 5 p.m. ET, followed by the Iowa INDYCAR 250s doubleheader weekend, which will air live in primetime at 8:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN on Friday, July 17, and Saturday, July 18.
The 2020 season continues on Saturday, July 4, with live coverage of the GMR Grand Prix at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on noon ET on NBC. Live coverage of qualifying will air Friday, July 3 at 4:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
The 2020 NTT INDYCAR Series schedule includes:
- Friday, July 3 (NBCSN, 4:30 p.m.)
- GMR Grand Prix at Indianapolis – Qualifying
- Saturday, July 4 (NBC, 12 p.m.)
- GMR Grand Prix at Indianapolis
- Saturday, July 11 (NBCSN, 5 p.m.)
- REV Group Grand Prix at Road America – Race 1
- Sunday, July 12 (NBC, 12:30 p.m.)
- REV Group Grand Prix at Road America – Race 2
- Friday, July 17 (NBCSN, 8:30 p.m.)
- Iowa INDYCAR 250s – Race 1
- Saturday, July 18 (NBCSN, 8:30 p.m.)
- Iowa INDYCAR 250s – Race 2…
…Mike Tirico will host NBC Sports’ coverage of the historic NASCAR/INDYCAR crossover weekend on Fourth of July weekend, anchoring 10-plus hours of coverage from Indianapolis Motor Speedway on July 4-5 on NBC.
Tirico will be joined by special guests throughout the crossover weekend, including current and former INDYCAR and NASCAR drivers.
Here is the schedule for Fourth of July weekend:
Saturday, July 4
- NTT INDYCAR Series GMR Grand Prix (NBC, 12 p.m.)
- Countdown to Green (NBC, 2 p.m.)
- NASCAR Xfinity Series Race – Indianapolis (NBC, 3 p.m.)
- IMSA – Daytona (NBCSN, 6 p.m.)
Sunday, July 5
- NASCAR Cup Series Race – Indianapolis (NBC, 4 p.m.)…
…Univision’s TUDN will deliver all the action from the first-ever Copa por México featuring eight teams and 15 total matches from two of the most iconic soccer locations in Mexico – Estadio Akron in Guadalajara and Estadio Olímpico Universitario in Mexico City. Beginning Friday, July 3, the tournament will signal the return to play for Mexico’s top club soccer league in Liga MX and will include fan-favorite teams such as Tigres, América, and Cruz Azul competing to be crowned the winner of the very first Mexican rivalry tournament. All matches will be exclusively carried on the Univision portfolio of networks consisting of Univision, UniMás, TUDN, and Galavisión, as well as streamed on the TUDN App and on TUDN.com, and available on the TUDN Radio Network.
TUDN will provide pre-game insights as part of “Fútbol Central,” as well as play-by-play coverage and post-match analysis of Copa por México via its studio shows Contacto Deportivo and Linea de Cuatro. TUDN’s award-winning team of sportscasters include: Enrique Bermúdez, Alejandro Berry, Enrique Borja, Jesús Bracamontes, Lindsay Casinelli, Marc Crosas, José Luis López Salido, Val Marín, Adriana Monsalve, Moisés Muñoz, Raúl Pérez, Pablo Ramírez, Alex de la Rosa, Andrés Vaca, Paco Villa, and Iván Zamorano.
During the tournament, participating teams will be divided into two groups, each consisting of four teams, with the top teams advancing to a single-elimination semifinal match followed by the championship game on Sunday, July 19.
Group A will feature matches from Estadio Akron in Guadalajara and includes Chivas, Mazatlán, Atlas, and Tigres.
Group B, played from Estadio Olímpico Universitario, will feature Pumas, América, Toluca, and Cruz Azul.
In the Group Phase, Copa por México will be headlined by three of Liga MX’s most popular rivalries: the Clásico Tapatío featuring the two Guadalajara rivals Chivas and Atlas on Saturday, July 4, the Clásico Capitalino between America and Pumas UNAM on Tuesday, July 7, and the Clásico Joven with the two Mexico City powerhouses América and Cruz Azul on Saturday, July 11…
…CBS Sports has updated its programming schedule with its second edition of re-airing classic NFL on CBS games on CBS and CBS Sports Network from Friday, June 26 through Sunday, July 5. The broadcasts on CBS and CBS Sports Network will help raise awareness of COVID-19 relief through the efforts of the American Red Cross, United Way, and the CDC Foundation which are battling the spread of COVID-19 and delivering relief to millions in need.
Some of the games featured are Super Bowl XLIV and Super Bowl XLVII, as well as many of the great AFC Championship Games in the past 15 years, including this past year’s AFC Championship Game, Tennessee vs. Kansas City, to be broadcast on CBS on Sunday, July 5 (1:00-3:00 PM, ET).
Below is the broadcast schedule on CBS (July 5 from 1:00-3:00 PM, ET) and for 9 consecutive nights on CBS Sports Network (June 26-July 4 from 7:00-9:00 PM, ET):
Friday, June 26 – Mile High Miracle
- 2012 AFC DIVISIONAL PLAYOFF(Jan. 12, 2013): Baltimore Ravens vs. Denver Broncos (7:00-9:00 PM, ET) – Joe Flacco and the Ravens defeated the Peyton Manning-led Broncos in this double-overtime thriller, highlighted by the “Mile High Miracle” connection between Flacco and receiver Jacoby Jones, a 70-yard touchdown pass with under a minute to play in regulation. In the biggest moment of his young career, rookie kicker Justin Tucker kicked a 47-yard field goal to secure the 38–35 victory.
Saturday, June 27 – Super Bowl XLVII was a family affair
- SUPER BOWL XLVII(Feb. 3, 2013 in New Orleans): Baltimore Ravens vs. San Francisco 49ers (7:00-9:00 PM, ET) – In a brotherly battle between head coaches Jim and John Harbaugh, John and the Ravens staved off a second-half comeback by the 49ers to clinch a 34-31 Super Bowl win. Ravens QB Joe Flacco earned MVP honors with three touchdowns and 287 yards on 22-of-33 passing.
Sunday, June 28 – Second half comeback started with the kick
- SUPER BOWL XLIV(Feb. 7, 2010 in Miami): New Orleans Saints vs. Indianapolis Colts (7:00-9:00 PM, ET) – In a match-up of two of the greatest quarterbacks of their generation, Drew Brees and the Saints took down Peyton Manning and the favored Colts, 31-17. Down 10–6 at halftime, in what many consider the turning point of the game, New Orleans recovered a surprise onside kick on the second half kickoff, then took their first lead of the game on Pierre Thomas’s 16-yard touchdown reception. Brees completed 32-of-39 passes for 288 yards and two touchdowns to tie the Super Bowl record for completions on his way to winning the game’s MVP honors.
Monday, June 29 – Road warriors
- 2005 AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME(Jan. 22, 2006): Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Denver Broncos (7:00-9:00 PM, ET) – Ben Roethlisberger threw for 275 yards and two passing touchdowns as the Steelers became the first team since the 1985 Patriots to win three postseason road games en route to the Super Bowl. The Steelers defense forced four turnovers and held the Broncos offense to 17 points in the 34-17 victory.
Tuesday, June 30 – AFC North rivalry for trip to Super Bowl
- 2008 AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME(Jan. 18, 2009): Baltimore Ravens vs. Pittsburgh Steelers (7:00-9:00 PM, ET) – The Steelers defeated the Ravens, 23–14, in a hard-fought AFC Championship game at Heinz Field. Pittsburgh opened the fourth quarter with a 16-7 lead. Baltimore scored a touchdown with 9:32 left, pulling the Ravens to within two, 16-14. But Troy Polamalu intercepted a Joe Flacco pass and returned it 40 yards for a touchdown with 4:39 remaining, sealing the victory for the Steelers.
Wednesday, July 1 – Steelers thwart Jets comeback to advance to Super Bowl
- 2010 AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME(Jan. 23, 2011): N.Y. Jets vs. Pittsburgh Steelers (7:00-9:00 PM, ET) – The New York Jets’ magical season came to an end when they lost the AFC Championship game to the Pittsburgh Steelers, 24-19. The Jets had trailed 24-0 at one point, but their comeback effort came up just short.
Thursday, July 2 – Heavyweight Match-Up
- 2004 AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME(Jan. 23, 2005): New England Patriots vs. Pittsburgh Steelers (7:00-9:00 PM, ET) – This game was an NFL heavyweight match-up in all its glory as the 15-1 Steelers took on the 14-2 defending Super Bowl champion Patriots for a trip to Super Bowl XXXIX. It was Tom Brady vs. the league’s reigning No. 1 defense; defensive genius Bill Belichick vs. record-breaking rookie quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. And for so many of them from both locker rooms, it was a rematch of the 2001 AFC Championship Game. In the end, there was no split-decision in this one as New England knocked out Pittsburgh, 41-27
Friday, July 3 – Blount a Force
- 2014 AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME(Jan. 18, 2015): Indianapolis Colts vs. New England Patriots (7:00-9:00 PM, ET) – Tom Brady threw for three touchdowns and LeGarrette Blount rushed for 148 yards and three touchdowns in leading New England to a dominant, 45-7, win over the Colts and a berth to Super Bowl XLIX.
Saturday, July 4 – Clinching victory
- 2019 WEEK 14(Dec. 8, 2019): Kansas City Chiefs vs. New England Patriots (7:00-9:00 PM, ET) – Kansas City clinched the AFC West when Bashaud Breeland knocked away Tom Brady’s fourth-down pass attempt to Julian Edelman in the end zone and the Chiefs beat New England, 23-16. After building a 20-7 lead, the Chiefs survived a series of mistakes to hold off a late rally by the defending Super Bowl champions.
Sunday, July 5 – Mahomes Leads Chiefs to Super Bowl LIV
- 2019 AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME (Jan. 19, 2020): Tennessee Titans vs. Kansas City Chiefs (1:00-3:00 PM, ET) – Kansas City’s young quarterback Patrick Mahomes passed for three touchdowns and added another with a rushing TD in leading his team to a 35-24 win over Tennessee in the 2019 AFC Championship Game and a trip to Super Bowl LIV…
…Joe Torre Safe At Home Foundation and the YES Network are teaming up to televise a special event on Sunday, June 28 at 8 PM ET on the YES Network to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the 2000 World Series, the “Subway Series” in which the New York Yankees defeated the New York Mets.
YES’ Yankees play-by-play man Michael Kay will moderate the June 28 roundtable program, which will feature Joe Torre, David Cone, John Franco, Al Leiter, Jorge Posada, Bobby Valentine, Bernie Williams, and Todd Zeile. Together, these participants of that Subway Series will relive the best moments and memories from the 2000 World Series.
Proceeds from “The Joe Torre Safe At Home Special” will support Safe At Home, which provides healing, hope, and empowerment to 13,000 young people who have been exposed to violence and abuse. Viewers will be able to text donations during the program by texting any amount and a special message to 646-846-9505.
Credit: Source link